Byju’s is the most-known e-learning app followed by other apps like Udemy, Coursera, Unacademy, Lynda, NIIT, IGNOU
Bengaluru, February 2020: Velocity MR, a leading market research and analysis company, recently conducted a pan India study to understand the preference of e-learning/online mode learning over traditional classroom. The national survey was conducted in prominent cities including Bengaluru, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, NCR, Pune, Hyderabad and Ahmedabad.
The study reveals that online/e-learning is the most preferred way of training among learners. Respondents prefer online courses due to its nature of flexibility, good and convenient learning atmosphere that provides easy learning and understanding to the learners. The predominant advantage of e-learning is the flexibility to learn anywhere and anytime with cost-effective courses.
The study also saw that online/e-learning is not only beneficial to the learners but also to the teachers. This mode of teaching saves time, provides flexibility to teach from anywhere while also allowing teachers to assist the learners directly. Besides this, it also allows the teachers to conveniently track and monitor learners’ progress and provide basic conditions for assessing the level of learners.
Jasal Shah, Managing Director & CEO of Velocity MR, adds, ‘With the increase in internet penetration, e-learning is highly preferred among people. Our survey shows that the age range of 25 to 45 years prefers online learning. Among 94% of people who opt for online learning are the working professionals working in industries like IT/computers/Technology. It is also interesting to learn that one fourth of the learners still prefer traditional classroom training. This significant undersized population feels that student and teacher face-to-face interaction helps understand the subject more easily.”
Abhishek Patil, CEO & Co-founder at Oliveboard, adds, “The majority of Indians live in small towns and villages and so are our users, where efficient coaching institutes might not be available. An online platform gives access to quality content and learning from top faculty from their own homes.
Abhishek further adds, “According to Velocity MR’s report, about 42% of the respondents prefer online courses due to its flexibility and about 62% feel that they get quality study materials that are especially useful for those who attend online exams such as IBPS PO, SBI PO, etc. These online courses aid students to choose courses freely, enable them to enrol in them according to their convenience while getting access to quality study material online.”
Highlights of the Study
- E-learning is highly preferred among the people within the age of 25 to 45 years
- More than half of the learners feel videos in e-learning are very effective as they are easy to access, thus, enhancing the learning experience
- As per the learners, an ideal course and app is the one which has effective content delivery, quizzing techniques, and microlearning facility
- Among 94% of people who opt for online learning are the working professionals working in industries like IT/Computers/Technology
- 58% of learners have enrolled themselves in the online courses and the rest 42% have not, but out of those who have not enrolled almost 3/4 of them are aware of the online courses
- Among those who have enrolled for the online course prefer short-term courses which are of 6 months or lesser
- Almost 3/4 of learners prefer online learning as the most preferred mode of training wherein, 1/4 of learners prefer traditional classroom training.
- The traditional means allow easy understanding of the subject through student and teacher face-to-face interaction. They find learning effective in having a quality education. Active participation of students in the classroom which is scheduled and disciplined learning are other advantages of traditional classroom learning.
- The e-learning means have an advantage of learning flexibility. The convenience of learning anywhere, anytime and at the learners’ own pace has increased the preference of online training among them.
- Type and duration, of course, are amongst the major factor which helps a learner select a course. The course affiliation or accreditation to a well-known university is another important factor in online course selection. A free demo or a trial class can also be an added advantage for the learners.
- Byju’s is the first most-known e-learning app followed by other apps like Udemy, Coursera, Unacademy, Lynda, NIIT, IGNOU, etc.
- Byju has received the highest awareness through TV advertisements, Youtube and online advertisements. Youtube also plays an important role as a source of awareness for Educomp, Edukart, and Unacademy.
- According to teachers, e-learning saves time and has the flexibility to teach from anywhere.
- E-learning also allows the teachers to assist the learners directly with the use of digital tools and monitor the progress of the students.
- The learners feel that online learning can be improved by offering multiple ways to learn with more flexibility and also engaging students at a deeper level having improved digital literacy.
- The learners also feel the online learning apps should provide courses in multiple languages while Hindi being the most recommended language followed by Tamil, Marathi, etc.