Swiggy is the most popular food ordering app with 90% adoption
In a recently concluded study by Velocity MR to assess online food delivery experiences and challenges faced by online food ordering apps/websites in the marketplace, it appears 40% of the customers ordering food online have had unpleasant experiences at some point or the other. The study which covered a total sample size of 2,436 respondents included key Indian metropolises including Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Chennai, & the others.
Adds Jasal Shah, Managing Director & CEO of Velocity MR, “The meaning of food tech has evolved over the years. Earlier, it referred to food processing and the technology used for its manufacturing. With evolving technology, the way millennials consume and perceive food has witnessed a huge shift for the better ensuring better play through quality, options, and efficiency. Food tech, as a result, has evolved into the entire process of food ordering and delivery while focussing on the comfort, convenience, quality and affordability factors.”
The Indian online food ordering market is expected to touch $17.02 billion by 2023. It is estimated to grow at a whopping 16% annually and is expected to be bigger than e-commerce in India. The growth in the online food ordering market can be attributed to various factors, starting with changing lifestyles, faster adoption of technology, an increasing number of women now joining the working population and increased adoption in Tier 2 cities in a vast country like India. However, this is not free from its share of pitfalls.
Adds Jasal Shah, “Even though food tech platforms are focussed on building customer satisfaction, in reality, it would not be possible to maintain this at all times considering the nature of the business. This prompted us to conduct this study to analyze the challenges faced by online food ordering apps/websites and its customers in the marketplace.”
Highlights of the Study
- 4 in every 10 respondents who have ordered food either form Swiggy or Zomato Order, have come across some or the other unpleasant experience in the past while ordering food
- Considering that people have faced some issues related to online ordering from Swiggy & Zomato Order in the past, 8 in every 10 respondents claim that they will still continue ordering through the same app/website and 6 in every 10 claims that they will still continue ordering through the same restaurant/food outlet
- About 50% of the respondents claimed to have ordered food online in the past 2 days.
- More than the younger generation (18-25 year olds) the mid-aged 26-35 year olds, ordered food in the past 2 days (42% vs 59%).
- It is interesting to note that all of the respondents surveyed, order food at least once a month.
- It is encouraging to note that very few (1 in every 5) have never tried to order online.
- Swiggy has been tried by 9 of every 10 respondents and later followed by Zomato Order. Some brands like Dominos & McDelivery have seen more trials by women while Box8, Mojo Pizza & TastyKhana had more male orderers..
- The most preferred is Swiggy, as stated by 1 in every 2 respondents.
- ‘Convenience of ordering’ & ‘Doorstep delivery’ are the key triggers for ordering food from Swiggy & Zomato Order. This is observed to be higher in the ‘46-60’ age group category, where 8 in every 10 have claimed so.
Issue/ Challenges Related
- 6 in every 10 in the ’46-60’ age-group claimed that ‘Time taken for my food to be delivered was much more than expected’ is one of the main delivery issues they face while ordering food online.
- 5 in every 10 in the ’26-35’ age-group claimed that ‘Delay in the time taken by the restaurant to confirm my order’ is one of the main delivery issues they face while ordering food online.
- 4 in every 10 in the ’36-45’ age-group claimed that ‘Attitude of the delivery executive was not professional’ as well as ‘The amount got deducted from my bank account but my order was not confirmed’ were top delivery executives issues they had while ordering food online.
- 7 in every 10 of the respondents belonging to the ‘36-45’ age group category claims to have faced most of the issues with Swiggy.
- 3 in every 5 of the female respondents claim to have faced most of the issues compared to that of males while ordering from Swiggy.
- 6 in every 10 in the age-group ‘36-45 years’ claim that Swiggy is the best app/website in resolving any issues quickly.
- 8 in every 10 ordering from Swiggy & Zomato Order resolved their issues by contacting the customer care desk of the app/website.
- A mere 2 in every 10 respondents claim to be ‘Fully satisfied’ with their past experience in resolving any issues with Swiggy.
- 1 in every 2 respondents changed their opinion towards ordering food from Swiggy or Zomato Order, after facing any delivery issues in the past.